THE home inspection BUSINESS
The home inspection business is growing and has evolved from a rare service to one that home buyers and home sellers routinely use. Today, more than 70% of resale homes are inspected, and home inspection has become a roughly $2 billion industry.
70%+ OF HOMES INSPECTED
$2 BILLION INDUSTRY
The home inspection business is projected to surpass $3 billion in the next decade
This growth will happen as home inspections become part of all home sales. Pre-listing inspections are also expected to become more popular, and demand will increase for home inspection services beyond real estate transactions. These include maintenance inspections, pre-renovation inspections, problem resolution inspections, litigation inspections, energy audits, commercial inspections, and more.
HOME INSPECTION CAREER opportunities
Work for yourself and start your own practice
- Earn $100,000+ a year — 250 inspections a year (roughly 5 hours a day) at $400 per inspection
- Low start-up cost — no big investment in equipment
- Low operating cost — work from home; no inventory; no transportation costs
- Work independently and be your own boss
- Set your own schedule and work when you want
- Increase your offerings by adding other services like mold, asbestos, termite inspections
Buy a franchise
- Join a team with a proven system, infrastructure and marketing approach
Join an existing firm
- Many home inspection companies are looking to grow
- Shortage of well-trained inspectors in some areas
- You can focus on inspections and reports
- You don’t have to worry about sales and marketing and operating a business
EARN $100,000+ A year*
As an Independent Home Inspector
The average home inspector earns
$70,000 A YEAR*
20% of home inspectors earn
$100,000+ A YEAR*
With the right education, you too can earn $100,000+ and become a leader in the industry.
*American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) Business Operations Survey
BECOMING A HOME INSPECTOR
Get our free guide
Home inspection is a rewarding professional consulting career — both financially and personally. It is one of those amazing professions where you get to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Do you think you have what it takes to become a home inspector?
Who would make a good home inspector?
- Someone who is very interested in how things work
- Somebody who likes to work independently
- A person who enjoys helping and interacting with people
- Someone who wants to set their own schedule
- A person who doesn’t like being chained to a desk
- Someone who wants to earn a high income